T21M1 Stimulus

What has Changed?

We hear so much about changes today, that most of the one-liners have become clichés. Despite the frequency of the messages we are hearing, education systems in general are proving hard to change. Watch the following two 4 - 5 minute YouTube clips which provide a summary of the situation facing schools. The first was produced in the European Union and the second in Australia, but the message would have been much the same even if it was produced in Canada, the USA, or Singapore.

If the embedded video is not visible below, use the link in the reference to access the video.

 

Crombie, S. (2014, May 26). 21st Century Learning. [Video file]. Retrieved from https://youtu.be/f0RyaAsVNGU



[AiTT Austraia]. (2017, February 21). The Future Workforce of Australia. [Video file]. Retrieved from https://youtu.be/e0PFc1QzlB4


By now you might be wondering if the changes described in the previous videos are significantly different from what the Partnership for 21st Century Learning (P21) has been proposing for the past 15 years. Watch this video from P21's Executive Director and try to identify common elements.





Soule, H. (2016, July 12). Introduction to 21st Century Learning with Helen Soule. [Video file]. Retrieved from https://youtu.be/6-NF1FQz2Mk

Influence of Artificial Intelligence

In recent years another variable has added to the difficulty of knowing what today's students should be preparing for.  We have been hearing for some time that many of the jobs that will be available to our students do not exist yet and many current jobs will cease to exist. The rapid growth in the adoption of artificial intelligence is making the future of employment even more difficult to predict.

Read the following two documents.

Scott, I. (2020, September). Toby Walsh: wrestling with the good, the bad, and the ugly of AI. Retrieved from https://thebrilliant.com.au/profiles/toby-walsh-wrestling-with-the-good-the-bad-and-the-ugly-of-ai/. 

Tucker, M. (2017), Educating for a Digital Future: The Challenge. Retrieved from http://ncee.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/12/The_Challenge_MarcTucker.pdf

 

21st Century Students

How different are today's students? Helen Soule mentioned a few differences and the next video looks further the characteristics that sociologists have linked to Generation Z.

The following video from McCrindle Research describes 5 characteristics of Generation Z, whom they define as people born between 1995 and 2009.



Fell, A. (2016, April 19) Generation Z defined; The five characteristics of today's students. [Video file]. Retrieved from https://youtu.be/QvCwcQmnyfE

 

Further Reading

The following blog post is brief and has some interesting comments.

Hand, B. (2018, January 18). The Future of Artificial Intelligence and Automation in K-12 Education. [Web log post]. Retrieved March 27, 2018 from http://www.edtechroundup.org/editorials--press/guest-post-the-future-of-artificial-intelligence-and-automation-in-k-12-education

Bret Swanson, author of the following article, says he is skeptical of predictions of detrimental effects that some futurists are concerned about.

Swanson, B. (2018, February 26). How will artificial intelligence affect employment and education? Retrieved from http://www.aei.org/publication/how-will-artificial-intelligence-affect-employment-and-education/

11 comments:

  1. Loved future work force video. Shared it with friends. we have one called "Did You know Shift Happens". Things that wer good reminders for me and learning were: 1) We need to help our kids get a global view. financial,civil, and global literacy, 2)teachers are not the centre of the classroom 3) kids are now more socially tech connected, mobile, global, digital and visual in their lifestyle and views 4) AI is here and needs to have people aware of its moral and social impact,transparency, fairness and trust are KEY.

    ReplyDelete
  2. BTW this article needs a pass code so i did not review it.

    Tucker, M. (2017). Educating for a Digital Future: Notes on Curriculum. Retrieved from https://education.nsw.gov.au/our-priorities/innovate-for-the-future/education-for-a-changing-world/media/documents/exar/Notes_Curriculum_MarcTucker.pdf

    ReplyDelete
  3. Indeed, we need to face the reality that 21st century is now here, and the challenge of teaching this kids of tomorrow must be accomplished today and continually be done progressively...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was unable to access Hand's web log post.

    I found all the videos and articles fascinating because I left teaching to have a family and now I'm back. I feel as though I've walked into a different world, and what I've just read and watched explains why.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are certainly living in a dynamic world, and can be left behind if we do not keep abreast.

      Delete
  5. Technology is very important but I find that I don't utilize it as widely in the classroom.

    These videos shared great information that has opened my eyes

    ReplyDelete
  6. The videos are very informative. The students that we serve are very savvy and way ahead of most of us. It is therefore very important that we be aware of the trends in the field of technology, so that we can be more efficient as we execute our duties.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My knowledge base is increasing and I am becoming better at including technology in my teaching.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have been an early adopter. Several years ago I digitized all of my classroom resources and worksheets. I made them available for parents and students. I also love using digital videos and
    visual aids like presentations.

    ReplyDelete