T21M4 Management

Decisions about using the flipped learning model, are not binary, "all or nothing" alternatives. You can experiment with flipping just a few lessons to begin with to see how students respond. You might begin by flipping one unit of work in the first semester then if it works well, flip an additional unit the following semester. As Matt More explains in the following video, you don't have to perfect the process before getting started.



Moore, M. (2918, January 9). Flip Learning: Get Started Flipping -Training Series - FLN. [Video file]. Retrieved from https://youtu.be/8g3TGvyfLRk

Collaborate to Flip


Some teachers find it helpful to collaborate with colleagues who teach the same class. It does not matter whether the colleague is in the same school or from other school. Collaboration can ease the burden of preparation and it does not matter if the different flipped classes are not doing the same work in the same week.

Contexts Where Flipped Learning Can Be Very Helpful

  1. Classes with a diverse range of abilities. Flipped learning makes it easier for students to work at their own pace and allows the teacher to spend more time with individuals than with traditional classroom models.
  2. Composite classes. Many Adventist schools have small enrollments which require them to have composite classes. Flipped learning can provide a convenient way to have different groups doing different work. Getting started can be a busy time, so finding other teachers to collaborate with would be very beneficial.
  3. Classes that use project based learning. PBL is a very good with with flipped learning. Because there is less direct instruction, the preparation work is less which make the introduction of flipped learning significantly easier.

4 comments:

  1. I like the idea of the small classrooms that is the best way for children to learn.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the guy in the video he is very encouraging when he says you don't have to be perfect at first and start small. I always feel like I have to have it all perfect and done before the school year beings. That may just be an unreasonable goal. Starting with just one unit at time and easing the flipped classroom model into our classroom setting should be the way to go. Thanks for the encouragement.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the guy in the video he is very encouraging when he says you don't have to be perfect at first and start small. I always feel like I have to have it all perfect and done before the school year beings. That may just be an unreasonable goal. Starting with just one unit at time and easing the flipped classroom model into our classroom setting should be the way to go. Thanks for the encouragement.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the encouragement, especially about not having to be perfect. I tend to want everything figured out and well organized beforehand. It's nice to know I don't have to be so uptight about trying the flipped classroom. I really like the idea of showing a class the projects that were done by the class the year before. I also like the idea of digitizing the things I already do in the classroom.

    ReplyDelete